Most people understand that a roof is an important part of their home or business, but may not understand just how complex it actually is. We all know that they protect us from the elements, but here are a few things about your roof that you may not be aware of.
Roofs are made of more than just shingles and wood, that is, if you want a solid roof. There are several important components to a roof including:
- Roof decking: This needs to be as durable and strong as possible since it supports the entire weight of the roofing system.
- Ice/Water barrier: Prevents damage caused by ice dams forming.
- Waterproof membrane: Helps prevent water from entering into the roofing system.
- Metal flashing: Installed within the valleys & joints of the roof to better control moisture seeping into the roof structure.
- Drip edge: These are installed along rakes and eaves of the roof. They make it so when it rains, the water will fall away from construction below the roof.
- Shingles: This is the part you actually see. Available in a wide variety of colors and materials.
- Ventilation: Believe it or not, roofs breathe and need proper ventilation to allow for moisture and warm air to leave the attic and cooler air to come in. Without proper ventilation, your attic, walls, and insulation can sustain water damage.
It is important to have your roof inspected on a regular basis to ensure it is functioning properly. If inspected routinely, small issues can be repaired, saving you money and the hassle of a complete roof replacement prematurely. Of course, a roof has a lifespan, much like everything else, and if you plan to live in your home for longer than a few years, there will come a time when you will need to replace your roof. Working with a reputable and reliable roofer is key. Contact us today at 1-800-673-3034 to schedule your FREE, No-Obligation roof inspection for your home in Ellicott City, MD today!